Thursday, October 23, 2008

I feel like i'm staring at me..,

Wednesday night...

Ugh. *shudders* Right now i am completely disgusted by a photograph. A photograph of me, actually. Not because it's "stupid" or "Ew i look awful in this one" But because it is genuinely evil. Not the original photo, not really. The original is me wearing an Indiana Jones' style fedora looking straight into the camera with a slight sarcastic smile and a strange gaze. That's not so bad. The evil comes from another photo, a doctored version of the previous. See i got some comments on the original being "creepy" and i thought- "i'll show them creepy" and then went to trusty ol' Photoshop and worked on changing the picture so it would look like i'm in a dark room, and i put a candle in front of my face, and played with the color till it looked right. Then, i don't know what got into me, but i decided to make the photo version of me look like Alice Cooper, with thick eyeshadow and thick eyebrows, with a very thin mouth. I worked for a while with it zoomed in, and then i zoomed out to see the finished project. Goodness gracious it freaked me out. Instead of looking like Mr Cooper, i ended up looking like something totally evil... and i'm not being dramatic... I might need therapy. Well i'm kidding about that, but still. What got me were my eyes staring back at me. They were my eyes, but something was different - they were dead!! No expression behind them... like they lacked a soul... creepiest thing i have ever seen... And then... i started thinking - "That's the real me!!" Me without God's Grace and work in my life, that is. It was almost a look straight into the blackness of my evil heart. I couldn't take it. I can't face myself. I seriously went into my bathroom a couple minutes ago to sit in a chair (where i am now) to write this, and i gotta tell you i was scared silly (it was pitch black) until i found the light switch. My heart is beating like 180 times per minute (or whatever's really fast) and i'm shivering a little bit, no lie. I am scared of myself!! Gosh that sounds so completely lame, but that picture... i'm gonna post it here, but i'm not gonna post the image, just a link to the image, because it... yeah. Um well here's the original, the first doctored, and then a link to the horrid one. (click at own risk)





****the really really scary one (click here)*****




*Thursday afternoon
...
Well right now i bet your thinking i have got to be the sissiest guy you know. I wish i could say that i was just kidding, that i made up being freaked out so i could illustrate my point about our evil hearts and God's grace, but i seriously can't. I was genuinely majorly freaked out. The thing is i don't get scared easy at all! I can sit through a horror film and laugh at all the cheesy mistakes the filmmakers did, and not be affected all that much by the content, but this image... it still freaks me out, and i'm writing this in the mid afternoon, sun shining, and even while listening to country! (which, as i have said, calms me down). I think it's my conscience, because i think to me it embodies all my sin. I'm not sure. All i know is that picture freaks me the hell out... (scuse my french) let me know if you had the courage to look at it, and tell me if it scares you the same, or if it's just specific to me... i'd really like to know

11 comments:

Wesley said...

It didn't scare me... at all. Sorry, Nathan. =/ But it is pretty scary. I'm just not a scared kinda person, I guess. Maybe it's 'cause it's not me...

But I do know what you're talking about. I used to look at myself in the mirror until the image became fuzzy (from my eye sensors "falling asleep"). I usually turned green when that happened. It was really creepy and I always prayed afterward that I wasn't going to grow up to be like that. lol

That is a pretty evil picture, though.

God knows what evil there is in the world. I don't know the full extent of it. I don't have to. Jesus PAID IT ALL so I don't have to. Yup, hallelujer.

morgan joy said...

woah i clicked on it and i got distracted by the tv for a second and i looked back and it was there and i was like "oh crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!" yeah its kind of creeepppyyyyyy...

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Nathan... but its kinda fake-looking. And funny. And not very scary. But its kinda creepy...

Emily said...

wow, Nathan that picture is scary. And it's scary to think that's what I'm like without God. It makes me all the more grateful for God's grace in my life!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I wasn't scared. Personally, I think it's something specific to you. I mean, you have lived with yourself for like 16? 17? years or something, so you obviously know what you look like (or what you think you look like) better than the rest of us. So when you see a contortion of that it's frightening. I've done the same thing. That's my expert psychologist opinion. :-)

Great parallel about how that's what we look like without God.

Anonymous said...

dude that is so not freaky... i'm sorry to say this but it seriously looks just like you always do, or did, seeing as i havent seen you i a while... but i get youir point entirely..

morgan joy said...

^wow, that was nice...

i am reading this blog at 10:00 at night and my eyes are about to pop out of my head!!!!!!!! do you know how hard it is to read white letters on a black background at night time??? oh wait, maybe theyre gray letters... i really cant tell tho... my eyes...

Emily said...

I agree with Wesley. I personaly am not creeped by it. idk, it just looks like an edited picture of you to me.

Anonymous said...

sorry nate it really wasn't that creepy but i gotta ask, why did you want to distort the pic in the first place? what was your goal?
I'm glad it helped you see what we'd be like without God but I still gotta wonder why you did it in the first place

Nathan said...

Well guys, the more i think about it, the more i think Marissa is right - it's specific to me. (read her comment if you haven't already, it makes more sense than i could explaining it again). I guess i made it because, i don't know, i like editing pictures? And it was like 3 in the morning and... yeah..

Anonymous said...

FREEEAKY!!!!