Thursday, April 16, 2009

Thoughts....

I just love Far From Home by Classic Crime. Matt showed me the song on Monday and since then i've been listening to it almost constantly. Haha i think i'm repeating Morgan though =P

Yall, lately i've noticed i'm becoming a lot diferent, a lot quieter, and more thoughtful. Now i rarely say anything except for that which needs to be said. And i've noticed that one of my favorite activities is to put on an acoustic alternative song and stare at the wall and just think. This is very unlike me. I noticed i was acting this way tuesday when i went to frisbee... Brandon told me that i was almost a diferent person than i was on Sunday, and Keri said i was acting very chill, and wondered what was wrong.....absolutely nothing. I'm very happy now, i'm just very quiet and thoughtful now too. Am i just maturing, moving past from the crazy wacked-out fella i've been? Not real sure. I just know that i've only said about 2 words in the past 2 hours. Maybe this is a good thing? I know i've annoyed some of you with some of my crazy actions, and while i don't feel i've been being immature, maybe it will be good to be a lot more chill from now on. I feel talked out from posting on this blog - that never happens.

You know i haven't posted anything deep on here in a long time - and i figured since i'm spending so much time thinking lately, i may as well post some of my thoughts... lately i've been thinking about Emotionalism and Sentimentalism. It's what puts those extra zeros on the checks in movie and music producer's wallets, what causes you to enjoy a movie. Emotionalism basically means "Emotion for it's own sake" - it's basically the enjoyment of emotion. See when you watch a movie, or listen to music, you're unconsciously expecting to be moved by it. If you watch a movie or listen to music without it making you happy, sad, angry, wishful, fearful joyful, or any other emotion, you consider it a waste of time, and a bad movie or piece of music. Everyone can fall into the trap of conjuring up emotion for it's own sake. And it's a trap, and a bad one too, trust me. See you can go to church on sunday, get stirred up by the music, excited by the preaching, and go home and think that you've "met God" when really all you've done is satisfied your appetite for emotion. Now i'm not saying you should go to church and not be moved by the music or stirred by the preching, God gave us music to enjoy, and he gave us His word to stir us and encourage us. What i'm saying is to be mindful of the distinction between the conjured-up feeling of emotion, and the actual truth from God. Does this make sense? If not i'll rethink it and repost it in a way that does. I have more to say on this subject, but right now i have to head on out.

to quote Ming: Life, kids. Life.

__

2 comments:

Emily said...

Classic Crime is cool =D

Sometimes it's so nice to just be quite. I have days like that too :) I think there's a balance between being quiet and a 'man of few words' and being super talkative and always talking. I think sometimes I can tend to lean towards being too talkative and actually talk to much. God and I are working on that though :) haha, but that's just my opinion...

That is so true about emotions and emotionalism. I completely agree :) Particularly this line: "What I'm saying is to be mindful of the distinction between the conjured-up feeling of emotion, and the actual truth from God." amen =)

Matt said...

You're welcome :)

good points here. Especially the second one. I haven't really noticed much of a difference in you but that may just be because I haven't known you for all that long.