Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Les

backlogged: Saturday, Nov 29th

Les Paul.
Yall know who that is? I'm sensing some blank stares right now... Well Mr Les Paul is the Source - literrally. You turn on the radio and like what you hear, you need to thank Les Paul! You pick up your electric guitar and play, again, thank Les. If you're Wesley, and you're doing Multitrack recording, thank Mr Les Paul!! See, he invented the electric guitar, he invented the 8-track (the precursor to VHS tape) he invented overdubbing, sampling, and multitrack recording, and he also pioneered virtually every style of music you hear on the radio. Now this is all really random i know, but bear with me, i just watched a special on him, and right now, i'm so inspired to go experiment with my own music equipment, but it's too late to turn on my amps... i figured i'd do the next best thing and tell you about it! :-D So i'm super amazed at Les Paul. He is my hero!!!! He rocks so hard!!! Seriously!!! Like WOW!!! His genius is astonishing, he pioneered virtually everything in the Music Industry, He's still alive too!!! At 94, he still plays every Monday night at a little club in Chicago, and he can play every bit as amazing as he did 60 years ago. He's hilarious too! I can't remember a quote though. :-/

So anyway - this special i watched had my attention until they started talking about Les's homemade studio - then it REALLY had my attention!! See Les Paul recorded every hit record he had (and he had a whole lot of them) in his living room, in his bathroom, his kitchen, hallway, bedroom, and foyer of his house!! Now that's what i try to do - record songs in my room. Now i've got great equipment, easy to use recording interfaces, documents on recording, help from the web, top of the line instruments, and great mics, plug-ins, cables, amps, connectors, mixing boards, amazing multitrack recording, sampling, mastering, remastering, and editing software, and every other modern advantage. Even with all that, it's excruciatingly difficult for me to produce something that sounds half-decent. Les Paul had a crappy mic, a homemade electric guitar made of a railroad spike, copper wire, and wood, homemade equipment he made from 1930's technology, and ancient tape... Nothing at all, really, save for his inventions. And yet, his recordings were dynamite, his sound unheard of, each song a classic hit revered world-wide even today. What's the difference? WHY was he unparalleled, even today?? Has to be Genius. And i'm so inspired after hearing about this Genius - i can't wait to get into the studio!!! And if you're interested at all in music recording, music appreciation, or even music listening, go research Les Paul, Music Pioneer, and aptly nicknamed "The Source" Go on, now. I'm gonna go play guitar quietly now, because i can't wait till morning. Goodnight.

____________________________

current: Thursday, Dec 4th

Well it's late night (or early morning) early early Thursday morning, and i thought i'd post this. I kinda forgot to post it then, but it still holds true for now - i still think Les Paul is amazing, and i still can't wait to get in the studio tomorrow and cut a track i've been working on since Saturday... wish me luck. Well i am going to bed now. So for the second time this post,

Goodnight.
__________________

7 comments:

Emily said...

lol, it seriously never occurred to me that Les Paul was a person. I mean, I know there were guitars called that, but it never occurred to me that Les Paul could actually be a person.

That is neat though. You learn something new every day :D

Wesley said...

I knew he was a person and invented the Gibson Les Paul, but that was about the limit of my knowledge of him. Thanks for posting! I learned something new. =)

Anonymous said...

I actually knew he invented the electric guitar . . . how I knew that, I have no idea.

Emily said...

lol, I'm impressed Marissa!

Anonymous said...

haha, especially since I know nothing about guitars, right? lol.

Nathan said...

Wow Marrissa!! i'm very impressed!!!

Actually Emily, his real name was Lester Paulfus, but you can see why he shortened his name =P

And Wesley, did you research him like i told you to?? =P

Wesley said...

I shall do right now... I didn't have time before.